CPA Praying Together – December 2020
Please join us and feel free to pass on to friends.
This month I would like us to focus on Ethiopia and two major struggles that are unfolding there, while at the same time celebrating the beginning of Advent, a time when we consider the coming of Christ.
Jehovah Shalom, Lord of Peace we pray for those currently living in isolation and fear. May they know your presence in their isolation, your peace in their turmoil, and your patience in their waiting. Prince of Peace, you are powerful and merciful.
Firstly, Covid-19 continues to take lives and ruin livelihoods. Numbers are up from last month by 12,761 cases and 226 deaths.
- We have had a fantastic response to the CPA Covid-19 appeal and have sent funds out. We pray there would be a multiplication of the effectiveness of these funds in supporting individuals and communities at this time.
- Internet services and media output has been reduced in the last few weeks, so we have not had an update from our friend and partner Beletew. Please continue to pray for him, as he’s not been well, and for his family and all of the team working to distribute both food and PPE equipment.
Secondly, you may be aware of the dispute that has arisen in the Tigray region between central government and the TPLF. (Tigray People Liberation Front). With many deaths and thousands displaced, we pray for an immediate end to the fighting.
- With a long history of mistrust, we pray for peace and an agreement to meaningful dialogue between the two parties.
- We pray for comfort for families who have been displaced, or who are missing loved ones – that this may come from an aid agency distributing clothing and shelter, or news that a loved one has been found.
- We pray for strength for those who are bent on peace. ‘Blessed be the peacemakers’.
- We pray that Ethiopia would not go backwards into further fighting and tension, but forwards into lasting peace, with respect and appreciation for each other’s differences.
Covid-19 continues to escalate in Uganda, with 21,145 cases and 201 deaths since the outbreak of the pandemic.
CPA prayer wouldn’t be complete without lifting our friends and partners in Uganda in prayer.
- We think of Julius and his family; all the children, former and present from Komamboga, and their families/guardians.
- And Bishop Benon and his team, and the CPA social workers, in North Kigezi, serving their communities. May they be blessed.
- We pray that you would continue to work through all those working for justice in Uganda.
May El Shaddai, the Lord God Almighty, who loves us, protect us and our African friends.
May Jesus Christ his son, who died for us, save us.
May the Holy Spirit, who broods over the chaos and fills us with his presence, intercede for us and in us, for others at this time.
Can I take this opportunity to thank you for praying with us and wish you a joyful, Christ filled Christmas.